A £6 million City Deal programme, supported by the Skills Funding Agency and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, is now operational and is designed to ‘gap fund’ the Apprenticeship Hub to address identified market failures in Greater Manchester around low levels of unemployed young people entering Apprenticeships and low volumes of Apprenticeships offered at level 3 and above in priority growth sectors.
A detailed Apprenticeship Hub Delivery Plan (downloadable on this page) has been produced, following extensive consultation with local authorities, employers and providers. It builds on local activity, around three main objectives:
1. Maximise employer take up of apprenticeships in GM’s key sectors
- Deliver city-wide collaborative activities to stimulate demand for apprenticeships and increase the number of vacancies and traineeship work placements.
- Deliver targeted marketing and communications activities.
- Support the public sector to provide civic leadership on apprenticeship recruitment in Greater Manchester.
- Build and support the capacity of employers to recruit and employ apprentices including those progressing from traineeships.
2. Improve information, advice and guidance services for young people
- Increase the proportion of 16-18 year olds that participate in learning through apprenticeships and traineeships with a focus on delivering better IAG.
- Increase the number of NEET and unemployed young people starting apprenticeships and traineeships.
- Tackle wider barriers to the take up of apprenticeships and traineeships in GM with a specific focus on transport.
3. Develop the capacity of providers ensuring supply is matched to demand
- Development of market intelligence to influence provider activity.
- Develop provider capacity to deliver apprenticeships at level 3+ in key sectors.
- Improve the quality of apprenticeship provision across GM.
- Build the capacity of the provider base to present an integrated offer to employers and young people across GM, e.g. workforce development, employer engagement and progressing young people into apprenticeships
Calls for proposals to deliver Apprenticeship Hub activity will be promoted via GM networks and via the New Economy website.
Cambridge Policy Consultants have been commissioned to evaluate the impact of the City Deal funding for Greater Manchester. In addition to two previous reports – a Baseline Analysis of Greater Manchester Apprenticeships and an evaluation of Phase 1 of the IAG projects (available to download on this page) - three further evaluation reports have now been produced:
- evaluation of the full GM Apprenticeship Hub CEIAG project
- evaluation of capacity-building activity for the delivery of Advanced and Higher level Apprenticeships
- interim evaluation of the impact of the GM Apprenticeship Hub.
Details of all of the City Deal funded projects supported by the Greater Manchester Apprenticeship Hub on behalf of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority can be found on the Hub's online portal at http://theapprenticeshiphub.co.uk/about/
Lisa Quigley – Contract Manager
T: 0161 237 4157
Nic Hutchins – Head of Youth Initiatives
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 0161 237 4041